Thursday, January 28, 2010

Routers -- Update!

Well, my DLink router configuration did not work as well as I would have hoped. I was watching a repeat of Psych! on TV (streamed over my LAN) and all of the sudden the dreaded start, stop, start, stop occurred. Thinking about my options, I was hoping the WISH configuration would work. So, I clicked my heels 3 times and said... "There's no place like a properly configured network!, There's no place like a properly configured network!, There's no place like a properly configured network!" That did not work! Gasp! Surprise! Shock! Maybe I had to click my heels 4 times?

If only there was some sort of Wireless Intelligent Stream Handling built into the router! Oh, wait a minute the acronym for "Wireless Intelligent Stream Handling" is WISH! Maybe THAT is what I need to use. This clicking of heels is definitely not working! So now, I've configured the WISH settings on the router and HOPEFULLY, that will work! Otherwise, I need to go back wishing I can discern the proper configuration settings that will allow my network to flow flawlessly!

So, click your heels 3 times and say "I wish Pelican Joe would blog about something I actually care about! I wish Pelican Joe would blog about something I actually care about! I wish Pelican Joe would blog about something I actually care about!"

Till next time ranters!

3 comments:

  1. "I wish Pelican Joe would blog about something I actually care about!" Good one, hon! Why don't you blog about your new Saturday tradition in the making? Or that ringing in your ears. Or Chuck. Or Daisy's squirrel hunting prowess?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up on D-link a long time ago. I think mine is somewhere near Kansas now. I use Linksys (sp) and am fairly happy with it. though I tried switching to a Apple Time Machine and that made me feel like I was on dial up again - ARGH...so back to Linksys it was for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terra, thanks for you comment! I originally tried DLink and gave it up for a Belkin (a very user friendly router and great signal). Then, I bought an SMC after the Belkin died. I now run three networks in my house (one for the SAGE TV server, one for my Son's DS - which does not handle anything but WEP, and one for the rest of the family - 10 machines in all). By the way, have you tried any of the open source router firmware on your linksys? I liked Tomato the best.

    ReplyDelete